* Distributed world wide across the Northern Hemisphere.
* If seen from above in sunlight the neck feathers reflect a shimmering golden color; hence the name.
* Can be seen migrating over the city and in the Lone Peak Wilderness.
* Feeds primarily on mammals, particularly Jack Rabbits. May feed on birds, especially large birds such as geese or grouse. Does feed on carrion when available.
* Nest on cliff faces and in power line transmission towers.
*Soars with wings at a slight upward angle or dihedral (Bald Eagle's wings are flat, Turkey Vulture's are held at a strongly dihedral angle).